Sunday 9 September 2012

Allotment gifts






Whilst I was fannying around in Sardinia, my allotment has been busy growing food. All this in just 1 week. There's plenty more to pick and the winter squashes are doing well. We have a runner bean glut, so again I have to be creative in using up all the beans before they go bad, and I am not keen on freezing. Here's a photo of freshly picked fruit and veg about 3 hours after I got off a plane at East Midlands Airport.







Earlier today for lunch I whipped up a spicy runner bean soup. It's pretty simple, you just de-string the beans on both sides, chop them and boil them in some water. When the beans are tender, add some stock powder, salt, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and blitz with a stick blender. Use a vegetable peeler to de-string the beans instead of a knife, much quicker. To decorate, I've peeled thin bean curls and put on top.



Later on I am planning to make runner bean and chilli chutney. I'll update this post with pics :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment